Frequently Asked Questions
Here are a few things to know about HotelsByDay, daytime hotel rooms, and frequently asked questions about our service.
Table of Contents
- About HotelsByDay and Hourly Amenities
- Booking with HotelsByDay
- How do I rent a hotel room with HotelsByDay?
- General Booking Policy
- Pay at Hotel Bookings Policy
- Non-Refundable Bookings Policy
- Can I book a room for 1 or 2 hours?
- Must I register and sign-in to book with HotelsByDay?
- What is a popular time band?
- Can I book for consecutive time blocks?
- How many people can stay in a day room?
- What type of room am I assigned?
- What if I can't find a hotel for the location I am looking for?
- Can I book day rooms on the same day?
- How old do I have to be to book a hotel room?
- Will I immediately receive a confirmation for my booking?
- Will the hotel keep my room if I arrive later?
- Can I extend my day booking to an overnight stay?
- What if I want to check in earlier or stay later?
- I want to check out after the stated check-out time. What should I do?
- Existing Reservations
- Billing and Payments
- How and when does payment take place?
- Can I book a room with a prepaid debit card?
- Can I pay for my room in cash?
- Can I pay for my room with a check?
- Can I pay for my stay with a different credit card than the one used to make the reservation?
- What is an incidental charge?
- How long does it take to get my incidental charge refunded?
- Why do I have a 'hold' on my credit card statement?
- Why am I being charged double the amount of the booking?
- General Questions
- What do I do if I have allergies I need to convey to the hotel before my arrival?
- How will my personal data be used?
- Right to be forgotten
- Who is behind HotelsByDay and what's their story?
- Is HotelsByDay a reputable company?
- If HotelsByDay was a song, what would it be?
- Does HotelsByDay have a Youtube channel?
- What are the social media handles for HotelsByDay?
- Day room assignment
- Should I tip the housekeeping staff?
- Is there parking available via a day booking, and if so, how much is it?
- Can I reserve a parking space when booking a day use room?
- Airport Shuttle
- How can I find out if the hotel offers a shuttle service and how can I book it?
- #MasterKey Loyalty Program
1. About HotelsByDay and Hourly Amenities
1.1 Why does HotelsByDay exist?
HotelsByDay was created with single obsession of turning hospitality more hospitable to modern society. Today consumers demand a greater level of flexibility and convenience than what hotels have traditionally offered with rigid check-ins & check-outs. Somebody needed to solve this constant friction.
1.2 What is our mission?
Our mission is to optimize hotel inventory by packaging various day-time services, such as sleeping rooms, conference rooms, pool passes, cabanas, spas, co-working desks, that would otherwise sit empty during the day. We provide an extra layer of flexibility for our guests, as otherwise the world would only be left with booking night stays.
1.3 How do we fulfill our mission?
Our inspiration at Hotels by day is to offer the following daytime services:
- Day rooms at different blocks of hours
- Rooms for long layovers or alternative check-in check out times
- Conference rooms for the day
- Meeting parlors
- Pool passes to relax
- Spa for wellness
- Cabanas at the pool or beach
- Co-working desk to be productive for the day
- Gym access to stay in shape
- Daytime luggage storage
HotelsByDay is progressively rolling out each of these services, so please be patient if you currently do not see the specific service you need, or a hotel nearby your area. As we continuously onboard new properties, we encourage you to sign up to our newsletter to be updated of a property near you!
1.4 Why do hotels offer day rooms?
Because it makes sense for everyone! HotelsByDay engineered flexible day-stays to serve people with lodging needs beyond the traditional 3 p.m. check-in and 11 a.m. check-out while also enabling hotels to serve new guests and tap into additional revenue via rooms & hotel amenities (Pool, Spa, Cabanas) that would otherwise sit empty all day.
1.5 What is a day use room?
A day use room is a room available for early morning check-in and late-afternoon check-out. For example, a popular time band on HotelsByDay lasts from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
1.6 How can I book a room for a few hours with HotelsByDay?
We don't believe in rushing. Which is why we offer flexible time bands ranging from 3 to 11 hours. HotelsByDay's time bands are predetermined and thus you cannot book a room 'by the hour.' Not only do we offer more convenient, lengthier time bands, but they come at a better value than booking by the minute, hour, or night.
1.7 Are amenities included in the price of a day room?
Most hotels provide HotelsByDay guests with all available amenities. However, some hotels may have restrictions on some amenities (e.g. free breakfast) and are subject to each individual property's choice. Please check with your hotel's front desk.
1.8 Do day rates fluctuate?
Yes, day room rates change based on the hotel's availability. Hotels will set a rate on the website that can fluctuate based on demand and season.
1.9 Is it weird to book a day use room?
We think not! It's actually modern to book a room for a few hours, as in our increasingly busy lives, we are in dire need for flexibility and for service providers to accommodate our every needs. So why not with hotel stays? As a matter of fact, even Conde Nast Traveler titled one of their articles as such: 'How To Book A Hotel Room By The Hour Without Looking Shifty' --- look it up!
2. Booking with HotelsByDay
2.1 How do I rent a hotel room with HotelsByDay?
Booking a room with HotelsByDay.com couldn't be simpler! Simply search for location and date you'd like a hotel room. Then, select the hotel that suits you best, based on rates, time-bands available, and specific neighborhoods. Here are a few additional links you may find useful:Learn how our service works.
Read our booking policy.
2.2 General Booking Policy
- All bookings with HotelsByDay are for check-in and check-out on the same day.
- Check-out times are fixed. All late departures are subject to extra fees, at the discretion of the hotel.
- You can check-in anytime during the allocated time-band, all the way up to the last hour of your stay. If you show up after the cut-off time, the hotel reserves the right to refuse you.
- Room assignments are made at check-in.
- All rooms are guaranteed to accommodate two guests. Extra guests are allowed at the discretion of the hotel.
- You should be 21 or over to book. It is the hotel’s choice to honor the booking if you do not meet age requirements.
- Copy of the booking, along with matching governmental issued photo ID & credit card required at check-in.
- Frequent Travel Club points will not apply to any HotelsByDay booking.
- Some hotels reserve the right to charge a 'Resort fee’ — includes use of Wi-Fi & other amenities. Please verify upon check-in.
- A temporary hold for incidentals will be charged on your credit card upon check-in. The hold will be removed 5-7 days after you check-out from the hotel.
- Housekeeping is hard work. Be mindful, and tip when you can! :)
2.3 Pay at Hotel Bookings Policy
- Some hotel partners require credit cards at the time of booking and others do not. If a hotel requires a credit card to confirm the booking, you will be charged a temporary $1.00 hold from "PAYPAL*HBD PROCESSING" which will not appear on your monthly bank statement.
- You will see a symbol on the booking page denoting if a credit card is required or not.
- All payments are made at check-in or check-out at the hotel, depending on their policy. Some hotels accept cash payments, please inquire at check-in. Gift cards are not accepted.
- Cancellations for 'pay at hotel' bookings are free of charge up to 24 hours prior to check-in by clicking on the following link: Cancel My Reservation
- Cancellations can only be processed via the link above—not by phone or email.
- If you do not appear for your reservation, a hotel may prevent you from booking in the future. Please always cancel your reservation via the cancellation link if you foresee that you cannot make it.
2.4 Non-Refundable Bookings Policy
- Non-refundable bookings may be charged by the hotel immediately following your booking on HotelsByDay.
- Should your card decline or be invalid, the hotel maintains the right to assign the room to someone else.
- The name of the person who checks-in at the hotel must match the name of the person who made the reservation and also the name on the credit card used to book the reservation. If the names are different, the hotel will not allow the person to check-in.
- Please note that Non-refundable bookings may be charged by the hotel immediately post booking on HotelsByDay.
2.5 Can I book a room for 1 or 2 hours?
Each single hotel has different blocks of time available on HotelsByDay. Blocks of time are heavily negotiated on your behalf and are more affordable than if you were to purchase a room by the hour.
2.6 Must I register and sign-in to book with HotelsByDay?
No, Signing-in is for the loyalty program, You can also book as a guest, in total anonymity.
2.7 What is a popular time band?
Popular time bands often set their earliest possible check-in at 9 a.m. and check-out by a 6 p.m. However, every hotel has different time bands that are heavily negotiated to give you the longest window of time at the best possible rates. We encourage you to use our booking filters to find the time that suits you best.
2.8 Can I book for consecutive time blocks?
You sure can! If you find matching time blocks and you need them, we'll be pleased to accommodate you with consecutive bookings. Keep in mind that you will be asked to create a new reservation when booking an additional time-band.
2.9 How many people can stay in a day room?
Two adults are considered the maximum. Most hotels will consider a 10-year-old child as a full paying guest.
2.10 What type of room am I assigned?
Generally, day rooms are 'run of the house' - meaning that whatever room is vacant will be assigned to you. If you have a specific room request, we suggest you write on the 'message' section during your booking, or simply request it at check-in.
2.11 What if I can't find a hotel for the location I am looking for?
You may not be able to find hotels in the location you are looking for due to one of the following reasons:
a. The time band you are looking for may not be available.
b. Hotels may be sold out in that area.
c. None of the hotels in your desired location have joined our platform.
If you are unable to find a hotel in the area of your choice try looking for nearby cities or you can visit us again a little later as we continuously onboard new properties every week, all over the world.
2.12 Can I book day rooms on the same day?
Yes, HotelsByDay allows same-day, even last-minute hotel room bookings. However, please note that many hotels will close their inventory for same-day bookings past 1 p.m. local time.
2.13 How old do I have to be to book a hotel room?
The minimum age to book a hotel room is 18 years old. However, some hotels are more strict and will not allow any person under 21 to check-in. To be safe, we ask that you be at least 21 years old to make a booking.
2.14 Will I immediately receive a confirmation for my booking?
You should receive an email from us immediately upon confirmation. If you do not see it in your inbox, we suggest checking your spam folder as it may have inadvertently been labeled as spam.
2.15 Will the hotel keep my room if I arrive later?
Yes. The hotel is under contract to keep your room until one hour prior to your day room check-out time.
2.16 Can I extend my day booking to an overnight stay?
Possibly, but you must request it at the front desk. If the hotel has the availability for a night stay, then you will simply be asked to pay for the supplemental nightly rate.
2.17 What if I want to check in earlier or stay later?
Yes, they can. Essentially, a day room is guaranteed for the hours listed on our platform, which have been extensively negotiated on your behalf. Any changes to the booking times are subject to the hotel's confirmation.
2.18 I want to check out after the stated check-out time. What should I do?
In principle, you cannot check-out after your listed check-out time, and could be penalized for doing so. However, if you call the front desk and warn them of your desire to check-out later than the time allocated, you may have to pay a small supplement, depending on your desired check-out delay.
3. Existing Reservations
3.1 What is the cancellation policy?
You have two options to book with HotelsByDay:
- You can "pay at the hotel" which grants you free cancellation up to the same day.
- You can also select a "non-refundable" booking. This means that you'll need to provide credit card details to book a day room. Once booked, the hotel will not allow us to change the date, cancel, or refund the stay.
3.2 I booked the wrong date, can you change the date of my booking?
Only if you booked a refundable room. If this is the case, we ask that you cancel your reservation and book again for the correct date. You can cancel your booking by clicking on the 'Cancel Reservation' link at the bottom of your booking confirmation email.
3.3 Will I receive a notification for my booking immediately?
You should receive an email notification immediately. If you do not see it in your inbox, we suggest checking your spam folder as it may have inadvertently been labeled as spam.
3.4 Should I confirm my booking with the hotel?
No - our bookings come manually and are entered into the hotel's reservation system ONLY on the day of your check-in. All you have to do is to show up with a copy of your reservation, as well as a valid ID & credit card that matches the name on your reservation.
Please note that regardless if you pre-paid for the room or not, the hotel will momentarily charge your credit card for incidentals. They will refund the hold within four business days post-stay.
4. Billing and Payments
4.1 How and when does payment take place?
For 'Pay at hotel' bookings there are no card details taken at the time of the booking non the website, and you will pay at the hotel upon check-in.
However for 'non- refundable' bookings, a card is required and payment is processed at the time of the booking.
In both cases, you are asked to check-in at the hotel with a matching ID and Credit Card, matching the name on the reservation.
4.2 Can I book a room with a prepaid debit card?
No. Prepaid cards are not accepted by any hotel, due to security risk. A valid ID and credit card must always be presented at check-in of your day stay booking.
4.3 Can I pay for my room in cash?
Yes, most hotels accept cash, however you still need to show a matching credit card and ID to cover incidentals, in case of breakage. Upon check-in, let the receptionist know you'd like to pay in cash. Don't forget that you also need to cover incidentals by credit card, which are usually around $100 per booking, depending on the hotel.
4.4 Can I pay for my room with a check?
No. Checks are not an accepted form of payment for daytime rooms at hotels.
4.5 Can I pay for my stay with a different credit card than the one used to make the reservation?
It's preferable to use the same credit card, but most hotels will accept a different card as long as the name on the reservation matches your ID and name on the credit card. Please note however that a hold will be put on the credit card that you provide at check-in to cover the hotel from any incidentals during your stay.
4.6 What is an incidental charge?
Incidental charges are just a hold in your credit card in case of any problem during your stay. The charge shows up as a 'hold' on your credit card statement and does not leave any paper trail.
4.7 How long does it take to get my incidental charge refunded?
Granted there was no issue during your stay, the incidental gets automatically refunded back to you within four business days.
If you still have trouble please contact us at [email protected]
4.8 Why do I have a 'hold' on my credit card statement?
Hotels place a hold on your credit card in case there is any incidentals during your stay. If all went smooth, then this hold gets automatically refunded on your credit card, with no paper trail of such charge.
4.9 Why am I being charged double the amount of the booking?
On most transactions, hotels will charge you the day stay as well as an incidental hold for approximately the same amount of the stay, in case of incidentals. This hold gets refunded back to you when & if your stay went smoothly.
5. General Questions
5.1 What do I do if I have allergies I need to convey to the hotel before my arrival?
Allergies are taken very seriously by our team at HotelsByDay. If you face one that may impact your hotel stay, please contact us immediately so that we can warn the hotel about it. You can send an email to us at [email protected]
5.2 How will my personal data be used?
We will share your name and phone number with the hotel so the front desk can register it. No other personal data will be shared with any third party.
You also can request to be digitally forgotten. See more details here: https://www.hotelsbyday.com/en/faq?qn=Right-to-be-forgotten
5.3 Right to be forgotten
HotelsByDay takes your privacy very seriously. We will not share your data with anyone else than the hotel you booked. Furthermore, we are GDPR compliant and can completely anonymize your data upon your request.
5.4 Who is behind HotelsByDay and what's their story?
HotelsByDay was launched in 2015 by a bunch of travel hospitality enthusiasts that wanted to give flexible booking options to the world! Find out more about the original team here: https://www.hotelsbyday.com/en/aboutus
5.5 Is HotelsByDay a reputable company?
Yes, we'd like to think so! But don't take our word for it. Feel free to look at our reviews online.
5.6 If HotelsByDay was a song, what would it be?
Day Tripper, by the Beatles ;)
5.7 Does HotelsByDay have a Youtube channel?
Yes we do, here's the link to the channel, like and subscribe!https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChFNJYYU5XD2-_UtyZhbnbQ/videos
5.8 What are the social media handles for HotelsByDay?
You can find the links to all our social media handles below. You can also find the icon links on the bottom of the home page.
5.9 Day room assignment
Room types are assigned at check-in. Please ask for your preferred room type at arrival and the hotel staff will do their utmost to please you. Note however that some room types come at a premium and you may be asked to pay a little extra for upgrades.
5.10 Should I tip the housekeeping staff?
Absolutely! Whether you're staying in a room overnight or during the day, for one day or twelve, you should tip the housekeeping staff accordingly. Housekeeping is hard work. Be mindful, and show your gratitude by tipping when possible! A handwritten note goes a long way, too. :)
5.11 Is there parking available via a day booking, and if so, how much is it?
Many hotels offer a discount on day stay parking versus night stay parking, however, hotel parking accommodations vary. Please check our hotel description for the hotel in question to see a list of amenities.
5.12 Can I reserve a parking space when booking a day use room?
Parking is one of the features that Hotels lists prominently in the list of amenities on the Hotel description page. In most cases, you cannot reserve a parking spot and it is allocated on a first come-first serve basis.
5.13 Airport Shuttle
Most airport hotels provide free shuttle service. Most shuttles run every 20 minutes during business hours, and every 45 minutes at night-times. You need to inquire at the airport 'Help Desk' for details on specific shuttle services to a close-by airport property. Otherwise, another option is to check on our website's hotel descriptions for detailed shuttle service: www.HotelsByDay.com
5.14 How can I find out if the hotel offers a shuttle service and how can I book it?
Most airport hotels provide shuttle transfers to and from the closest airport. If the shuttle is free, it will be listed under amenities in the hotel's description. In most cases, you can reserve a shuttle transfer by calling the hotel directly.
6. #MasterKey Loyalty Program
6.1 Does HotelsByDay have a loyalty program?
Yes! It's called #MasterKey, and you're granted a free stay every time you reach 20 points worth of bookings. Find out more details & sign up here:
6.2 Is the loyalty program for me?
The #MasterKey program is available for any guest that booked with HotelsByDay! Don't hesitate to sign up and get your 20 points towards a free stay!
6.3 When was the loyalty program launched?
The loyalty program was launched in late 2018, and is becoming very popular with our guests! We invite you to sign up and take advantage of multiple granted free stays!
6.4 How many bookings do I need to make to receive a free day stay?
The #MasterKey loyalty program has 3 levels: Bronze, Silver, Gold.
You start with bronze and accumulate 20 bookings which grants you 20 points & 1 free day stay. Then you move on to Silver, where you only need 10 bookings to get to 20 points and a free day stay, and then move on to Gold. At Gold, you get a free stay after only 5 valid bookings!
Find out more details on this page: https://www.hotelsbyday.com/en/loyalty-terms
6.5 Where can I find more information about the loyalty program #MasterKey?
To find out more details on the #MasterKey loyalty program, please click on this page:
7.1 How do I know if a hotel is open?
Hotels listed on our platform are open and available to book. However, the Covid-19 pandemic has forced some properties to shut down abruptly, with very little warning. We keep track regularly of possible shut downs and do our very best to post it online or advise guests when booked.
7.2 How do I know if the hotel is following the CDC safety guidelines?
All partner hotels take security & health very seriously and are following the CDC charter of safety and cleanliness. However, if you see any evidence of otherwise, we encourage you to contact us immediately at [email protected]
7.3 Other COVID-19 information
The COVID-19 pandemic has affected the hospitality industry tremendously. Many hotels around the world have closed due to mandatory government policies at this time. We are in contact with the hotels to have as many hotels available for you, keeping your safety and security as our primary concern. All hotels visible on the website follow a number or rules and guidelines for your safety at this time and should you require any more information do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected]